Weeds | History of Weed | SHOWTIME
From 2727 B.C. to the present, Weeds presents a brief history of cannabis. Starring Mary-Louise Parker.
The history of cannabis: 8 things you didn’t know
We’ve all heard of it cannabis, pot, marijuana, Mary Jane
– but what do you really know about it?
1. It’s been around for thousands of years. Cannabis, in its digestible form, was discovered in tombs in the Turpan District of Xinjiang, China, in the early 2000s and carbon-dated to 2500BP (or “before present”, the most commonly used dating convention in carbon dating). Its use may go back as far as 12,000 years ago, probably as a multi-use crop for rope, clothing, fibre and nutritious seeds.
2. Cannabis is one member of the flowering plant family cannabaceae, which also includes hops, used as the main flavour in beer.
3. Cannabis produces one of the strongest, natural fibres – hemp – which has been around for 10-12,000 years. You can make paper, twine, fuel, varnish, paint, a food ingredient, a grain crop, or bow strings. In China, it was used as a “war crop” in ancient times.
4. The main species is cannabis sativa, the psychoactive variety, while the hemp crop is the non-psychoactive cannabis sativa linnaaeus. Then there are two more psychoactive types, cannabis indica, and an uncommon subspecies, cannabis ruderalis (and there’s some debate about whether it’s even a separate species).
Cannabis Male & Female
5. Male and female plants do different things – the male is better for making fibre and hemp; the female is better for seeds and the psychoactive product (the dried flowers of the female plant).
6. It was only recently made illegal. In the United States, and many western countries, cannabis use was curtailed and criminalised in the early 20th century, although hemp production was allowed and encouraged during World War II.
7. The chemical in cannabis that causes you to get ‘high’ or ‘stoned’ is called THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). When cannabis is smoked or eaten, THC enters the bloodstream and goes to the brain. When in the brain, THC binds to tiny parts of the brain called brain receptors. If enough THC binds with these brain receptors, your behaviour will be affected and you become ‘stoned’.
8. Shakespeare was a stoner. Allegedly. South African researchers have claimed there was marijuana residue on the fragments of a pipe found in Shakespeare’s garden in England. The claim was backed up with the “fact” that in Sonnet 76, he wrote about “invention in a noted weed”, a hint – it was claimed that he lit up while writing.
- History of Marijuana | Cannabis History | US History of … – A brief history of cannabis from the 3rd millenium BC to modern America and beyond
- Cannabis (drug) – Wikipedia – Cannabis also known as marijuana among several other names, is a preparation of the Cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug or medicine.
- The 10,000-year World History of Hemp and Cannabis – 1924 Russian botanists classify another major strain of the plant, Cannabis ruderalis. 1926 Lebanese hashish production is prohibited.
- Marijuana ‘s History : How One Plant Spread Through … – … according to Warf. The history of cannabis use goes back as far as 12,000 years, which places the plant among humanity’s oldest cultivated crops, …
- Cannabis : History – DEA Museum & Visitors Center – Cannabis Strains. As cannabis strains are continually discovered and grown the potency changes as well. The differences in marijuana potency are what make various …
- Historical Timeline – Medical Marijuana – ProCon.org – Medical Marijuana – Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option? Gun Control – Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted? Animal Testing – Should Animals Be Used for …
- Scientific History of Medical Cannabis – Americans for … – Scientific History of Medical Cannabis . … Establish Federal Legal Protections for Medical Cannabis Patients and their … M.D.’s History of Cannabis as a Medicine.
- 420-milestones-history- marijuana – Brainz – 420-milestones-history- marijuana – Brainz
- The Illegalization of Marijuana : A Brief History | Origins … – The speed with which Americans are now considering legalizing marijuana has taken everyone by surprise. But in the midst of this shift in public opinion and state law …
- The History of Medicinal CannabisA (3) – The History of Medicinal Cannabis Background As early as 2737 B.C., the mystical Emperor Shen Neng of China was prescribing marijuana tea for the treatment of gout, …
- Marijuana – History – Drug, Medical, Laws, and Drugs … – … Marijuana – History – Drug, Medical, Laws, and Drugs – JRank Articles http:// science.jrank.org /pages/4128/ Marijuana-History .html#ixzz1tdSKp800 …
Powered By Trivia Blast 2.0